18 August 2008

Plitvice Lakes

It was awesome! Although completely crowded, with tourists, the lakes and waterfalls were great. The Plitvice Lakes is a massive site with tons of waterfalls, lakes and just great natural views. With about a 2.5 hour bus ride from Zagreb I was able to make a day trip out of it.

The way there was almost a nightmare. The city of Zagreb lost power this morning, so none of the trams were working. I was trying to run to the bus station, but it was pretty far from the city center. Luckily the power came back on, but all the trams were very delayed. I made it to the bus station 5 minutes before my bus was leaving. Hopping on at the very last second.

You can take any number of paths ranging from 3-8 hours of hiking. I decided to play it safe and did about a 6 hour hike. Your entrance fee also includes the boat rides and trams within the park. Although that almost makes it sounds like a theme park, they really are able to keep it a natural looking area. I was completely exhausted waiting for the bus back to Zagreb that I actually passed out at the bus station.

No comments: